[Debian-sponsors-discuss] Debian fundraising thoughts.

Luca Filipozzi lfilipoz at debian.org
Wed Feb 27 05:15:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:24:37AM +0000, Moray Allan wrote:
> On 2013-02-25 06:47, Brian Gupta wrote:
> >1) we need to have a coordinated fundraising sponsorship effort/team
> Yes.  Thank you for putting some time into this topic.

Indeed, thank you.

> I would suggest postponing changing how fundraising is done as a second stage
> after we have a group that talk to each other with a complete image of
> Debian's fundraising efforts and needs

Agreed.  I suggest that we approach this discussion in the following manner:

(1) principles - we agree to combine efforts; we agree to allow targeted
donations; we will split untargeted donations per the following formula or let
the DPL decide or have an allocation committee, or whatever; or not ... the
goal here is to agree on how we will cooperate so that once the money is
flowing we're not having disagreements about how to use it or who has the power
to decide

(2) goals - what are our objectives for combined fundraising; debconf,
hardware, sprints, etc.; what are our objectives for donors: recognition,
co-marketing, endorsement, etc.

(3) strategies - corporate giving, endowed giving, personal giving, matching
programs, incorporation of debian/spi as a non-profit in new jurisdictions,
grants, etc.; donor 'levels', etc.

(4) plans - assigned action items for accomplishing the above

(5) policies / procedures - as necessary

(6) technologies - let's not reinvent the wheel if we don't have to (see my sig)

A useful comparison is http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/

Cheers,

Luca

--