[Debian-sponsors-discuss] Debian fundraising thoughts.

Stefano Zacchiroli leader at debian.org
Fri Mar 29 16:08:55 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:50:53PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
> I think narrowing the scope of our discussion and trying to narrow
> down a list of "reasons sponsors contribute" would be a great first
> deliverable for this discussion, as it will frame the bigger
> discussion.

[ I leave this to the participants on this last that do come from
  companies that contribute to Debian, ... and thanks for doing that! ]

> Side topic - In a bit of news, we (we meaning "Debconf sponsors team",
> and my company Brandorr) are experimenting with the Matching fund idea
> I mentioned earlier. (It's a matching fund for DebConf contributions
> for now, but the idea could be expanded to general DebConf fundraising
> for future drives.) You can read about it here:
> http://blog.debconf.org/blog/2013/03/20#dr_dc13_matching_fund

Indeed, this is a great initiative and I'm very curious to see how it
will turn out in the hand. It's also a good example of how the general
discussions here are neither a blocker nor an alternative to trying out
specific fund-raising initiatives as you did. So, everyone, feel free to
propose here similar innovative initiatives here, so that we can
experiment with them and gather actual data on what works and what
doesn't.

> P.S. - I'm wondering if we need a wiki, to help consolidate thoughts?
> (Can someone help here?)

If you mean a specific wiki, no thanks :), I really don't think we want
to run a new one. But a set of wiki pages on wiki.d.o, sure. After a
quick search, I haven't found anything already relevant on wiki.d.o; if
anyone wants to start something, I think that wiki.d.o/Fundraising would
be a good start.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o