[Debian-sponsors-discuss] How to recognize larger non-earmarked financial contributions to Debian?

Brian Gupta brian.gupta at brandorr.com
Mon Feb 29 15:19:07 UTC 2016

All,

donations at debian.org (auditors) has been having a back and forth with
a company, that now wants to contribute $5k to Debian's General Fund.
(We gave them the choice to donate to DebConf, but they chose general
fund). I know the logistics of handling the incoming funds, but I'm
not sure how to get them the proper recognition, as we don't have a
standard way to recognize financial donations to our general fund.
(This company also contributes services to Debian.)

I thought maybe the partners page, but the Partners Program info page
states "Donations will be recognized separately". Under donations,
there doesn't seem to be a list of financial donors, only "equipment
and service", "hosting and hardware sponsors" and "official mirror
sponsors".

Perhaps we can do something like WIkipedia benefactors page [1], which
is reset and archived each year.  (I am pretty sure we need something
that is reset annually, and in general should have some policy to
prioritize recognition of more recent and ongoing donors.)

Thanks,
Brian

[1] - https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Benefactors