[xml/sgml-pkgs] moving on to expat 2.*

Stefan Sobernig stefan.sobernig at wu-wien.ac.at
Tue May 13 13:44:28 UTC 2008

Daniel Leidert schrieb:
> Am Dienstag, den 13.05.2008, 09:36 +0200 schrieb Stefan Sobernig:
>
>> I am (co-) responsible for some packaging activities over at
>> the Debian Tcl/Tk Team which aim at wrapping-up http://openacs.org in
>> terms of Debian Packages. A key infrastructure component of OpenACS is
>> tDOM (http://www.tdom.org) which requires expat ...
>>
>> tDOM has been available as Debian package for quite a time, but was
>> abandoned. We are now resurrecting it and contributing it to the Debian
>> Tcl/Tk collection of packages.
>
> For Lenny or post-Lenny?

Well, we target (current) debian sid for tDOM and, therefore, lenny
(please, correct me here, i am not that firm on the debian release cycle).

>> Up to now, the tDOM distribution embeds its own copy of expat (1.95.*
>> and 2.0.1) which is not acceptable when packaging it up for Debian. More
>> recent version of tDOM (0.8.2+) moved on to expat 2.0.1. This raises the
>> issue of the availability of expat 2 in Debian. Are there any plans to
>> provide a libexpat2 package in the very near future? What are your plans?
>                     ^ s/2/1 (the SONAME did not change)

ok. thanks for clarifying. i just implied the naming as I know that the
package is referred to as libexpat2 in Ubuntu.

> I did most of the packaging part last week:
>
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-xml-sgml/packages/expat/?rev=0&sc=0
>
> Some items are not yet done. The probably most important outstanding
> item is: renaming the library packages for the transition. The situation
> isn't easy. The current libexpat1 packages provide a compatibility
> symlink, which should be dropped (see #429175). Thus we need a library
> rename and a transition, which makes the package update impossible for
> Lenny at this point (d-i uses libexpat, so I think, the release managers
> would disagree to make the transition at this point).
>
> I currently plan to discuss this issue on debian-release and then -
> depending on the results - to upload the package to experimental.
>
> However, I don't have the necessary time this week. But I'm back next
> week.

ok. thanks for keeping us posted.

cheers.
//stefan

--
Stefan Sobernig
Institute for Information Systems and New Media

`- +43 - 1 - 31336 - 4878 [phone]
`- +43 - 1 - 31336 - 746 [fax]
`- stefan.sobernig at wu-wien.ac.at <mailto:stefan.sobernig at wu-wien.ac.at>
`- ss at thinkersfoot.net <mailto:ss at thinkersfoot.net>