[xml/sgml-pkgs] less. No

Hindbaugh Darling joshes at concorde.nl
Tue Jan 12 00:05:02 UTC 2010

Day grow lavish in the use of unguents when they are preparing for
natural selection; and I flatter myself that even my own garments--in
their superficial aspects at least, and during my long pursuit of
Georgiana--have not been very far from somewhat slightly ingratiating.
This pursuit is now drawing to a close. It is nearly the last of June.
She has given me her word that she will marry me early in September. Two
months for her to get the bridal feathers ready; two for me to prepare
the nest. II I have forgotten nature. I barely know that July, now
nearly gone, has passed, sifted with sweetness and ablaze with light.
Time has swept on, the world run round; but I have stood motionless,
abiding the hour of my marriage as a tree the season of its leaves. For
all that it looks so calm, within goes on a tremendous surging of sap
against its moments of efflorescence. After which I pray that, not as a
tree, but as a man, I may have a little peace. When Georgiana confessed
her love, I had supposed this confession to mark the end of her
elusiveness. When later on she presented to me the symbol of a heart
pierced with needles, I had taken it for granted that thenceforth she
would settle down into something like a state of prenuptial
domestication, growing less like a swift and more like a hen. But there
is nothing gallinaceous about my Georgiana. I took possession of her vow
and the emery-ball, not of her; the privilege was