[xml/sgml-pkgs] w3c-markup-validator/check

Kete kwfj at suddenlink.net
Thu Feb 10 01:41:06 UTC 2011

"The requested URL /w3c-markup-validator/check was not found on this server."
Hello, I searched the archives for this problem but could not find anything.
I've been struggling with a local validator. I installed the package,
and then I misunderstood the W3C instructions and compiled the html5
validator.nu. Then, I started compiling a 1.1 validator and
installing/enabling the Apache Perl and expires modules, and then, I found the
unstable package, deleted the validator source and validator.nu directories,
and installed the Sid version. I'm not sure what to do. Is there documentation
about what to do when the validator can't find the check command? And am I
supposed to go to localhost:8888/html5 to check html5 b/c that doesn't work,
but I enabled it in /etc/w3c/validator.conf. What is the CompoundXML?
Uncommenting that and restarting Apache didn't make a difference. Also, when I
run check on a html5 docs as root from /usr/lib/cgi-bin/w3c..., the validator
can't find the external checker. I also just went through the validator.nu
process again in /usr/local, but the results did not change. The validator.nu
instructions say to run the last command twice, and both times, the last three
lines are as follows:
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib.py", line 355, in open_http
    'got a bad status line', None)
IOError: ('http protocol error', 0, 'got a bad status line', None)

My browser can't connect at port 8888 either. I'm sorry this is so verbose and
for not figuring it out on my own, but please let me know if you need any more
information. Thanks for your packaging