[xml/sgml-pkgs] merging w3c-dtd-xhtml and w3c-sml-lib: ten days to object or find issues

Nicholas Bamber nicholas at periapt.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 21:31:08 UTC 2012

Joey,

On 20/04/12 01:38, Joey Hess wrote:
> Nicholas Bamber wrote:
>> Hmm well the old vesion of w3c-dtd-xhtml provided w3c-dtd-xhtml. This
>> one does not. Still I see it showing up as a Provides in PTS. I am not
>> sure if something needs to be done in some mysterious Debian server to
>> resolve that but the 1.2-2 version of w3c-sgml-lib does NOT have a
>> Provides clause.
>
> w3c-sgml-lib 1.2-1 does provide/conflict/replace w3c-dtd-xhtml.

Yes and it is not present in 1.2-2. Nor does w3c-sgml-lib exist in
stable. So actually if we just let it go to testing everything would be
fine. ;-) Seriously I will not do that unless you are happy with it
and there are still backports and derivatives to worry about. Please
could you run this test. Uninstall w3c-dtd-xhtml and all its dependents
and reinstall wdg-html-validator with the latest chain. Does that have
any issues for you?

>> Please could you send me one or more HTML files that you would accept
>> as an objective test as whether wdg-html-validator is working and what
>> you expect as an output.
>
> See end of transcript in my previous mail.

Sorry I was in too much of a hurry to see that before. Thanks.

>> 	Also what happens when you force through the installation of
>> w3c-dtd-xhtml version 1.2-2 and w3c-sgml-lib? Does
>> wdg-html-validator behave itself for you then?
>
> update-xmlcatalog: error: entity already registered with a different value
>   Entity   : [delegatePublic publicIdStartString="-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1 for XHTML//EN"]
>   Old value: [catalog="file:///etc/xml/w3c-sgml-lib.xml"]
>   New value: [catalog="file:///etc/xml/w3c-dtd-xhtml.xml"]
> dpkg: error processing w3c-dtd-xhtml (--install):
>
> And in this state, no, validate does not work.

For me the nightmare scenario is that I just have to give up and make
w3c-sgml-lib and w3c-dtd-xhtml have mutual conflicts clauses because
they define the same entities. I think the Debian policy implies that in
that case both packages and all depeendencies should move to "extra"
priority which I think would be dreadful.