[Debichem-devel] debichem status

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert.spam at gmx.net
Mon Nov 13 02:15:29 CET 2006

Back in action!

Am Sonntag, den 29.10.2006, 21:56 -0800 schrieb Jordan Mantha:
> Hi guys!
>   As I was telling Michael earlier today on IRC, I have a hard time
> keeping track of things if they are just on IRC. So I was wondering what
> the status is of all the debichem packages.

In general for me the next steps are:

* easychem
  - needs a fix for Debian bug #380210 / Ubuntu bug #71118
  - Ubuntu bug #55010 shall be easy to fix during the package update

* gnome-chemistry-utils (gcu)
  - the .la file should be dropped

[..]
> I've also been working on gchemutils with Jean Bréfort a little

I will update my gcu-checkouts and have a look at your work in the next
days. I hope, that gchemtable can be a replacement for gperiodic one
day, so we can drop gperiodic, which seems pretty dead.

> and so
> am pretty excited to see both gchemutils and bodr (chemical data
> repository) up to speed.

bodr is not already packaged - but I already had a discussion with Egon
Willighagen about starting the package. For gchemutils I saw the comment
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/chemicalmime/+bug/61320/comments/1 - please try to keep track here to fix Ubuntu bug #35922.

> Also, Barry DeFresse at one point made a bkchem
> package for Edgy with python-central support. Although he says it was
> far from perfect it might help out. He said he put it up at
> http://www2.bddebian.com:8000/packages/ubuntu/bkchem/

I will have a look at it. Sounds he did, what I missed to do because of
lack of time. Could be a good starting point for the official package.

> So, how are the rest of the packages? Anything in particular we need to
> package up?

AFAIK not. But I still have some packages:

* gabedit
upstream uses an outdated Gtk+Extra 2.0 snapshot to build it - so it
does not build against the official Gtk+Extra 2.0 release, which already
hit Debian officially - that's the only thing to fix

* gopenmol
maybe a candidate for main, but not sure - a package exists locally

* molden (maybe)
definitive non-free (academic license)

* cdk, jmol, jchempaint and bioclipse
already in the pkg-java SVN, but definitely need maintainers

(kmovisto is IMO too old, dead and Jmol already offers 3D)

Regards, Daniel