[Debichem-devel] RFS: gausssum (updated package)

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Tue Aug 14 17:08:22 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 01:37:56PM -0700, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> Well, the issues I saw where the changelog being a mess, switching
> >from python-central to python-support, not properly documenting a NMU,
> and generally being impatient with our sponsor.

I had another look at the subversion history, and I think I now know why
a big chunk of this confusion resulted: You checked the 1.0.3-2 package
into debichem subversion and then uploaded 1.0.4-1 later on, but nobody
ever realized it wasn't in subversion.

Fast forward half a year, and Li makes changes to the package based on
the 1.0.3-2 code in subversion.  So he didn't switch from python-central
to python-support, he just did the same you did in 1.0.3-2->1.0.4-1
albeit using the other python packaging support method, ignorant of your
prior changes.

Maybe we(I) should add this to some checklist, i.e. make sure no other
version got uploaded to ftp.debian.org in the meantime (e.g. somebody
non-debichem-team could've NMUd for one reason or another in the
meantime).

> Giving 2 days for Michael to respond before emailing a RFS to
> debian-mentors seems really odd to me. Perhaps I don't understand the
> "Debian way" yet, I'm not sure.

I have to admit I was less than good in sponsoring some of the debichem
packages in the past, but yeah, it should be possibly to keep it on
debichem-devel in general and not having to resort to debian-mentors.

> At this point, I'm really not as interested in GaussSum as perhaps LI
> is and since he has been doing a lot of work, I'd like to consider
> either handing maintainership over to him or to debichem as a whole. I
> know we had a discussion some months back about having the mailing
> list be the Maintainer, do we have a conclusion to that?

I think we should go forward with this, to make things more clear.  I
still think a list as Maintainer: would be best to avoid things like
this (and keep track about who mostly cares for what in the hypothetical
debichem part of wiki.debian.org and via Uploaders:), as it would make
sure all upload and bug notices are in a central place and relieve one
person of having to take responsibility for the changes others do.

But maybe we should discuss this seperately again.

Michael