[Debichem-devel] pymol/molekel: getting code from SVN

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert.spam at gmx.net
Mon Aug 27 16:11:25 UTC 2007

Hi,

Maybe you know it: Both molekel and pymol do not provide source
tarballs. We need to get the source from their SVN.

I spoke with the pymol upstream Warren DeLano and he agreed to create
SVN tags for release points again. The latest release is 1.0rev1, so
pymol should probably be updated. I created a new debian/watch file for
pymol, which seems to work properly. I tried so for molekel too, but
failed yesterday. But I got some nice feedback from the debian-mentors
list regarding this issue. If you want to help, please check
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2007/08/msg00531.html. This
websvn interface provides a possibility to download a tarball (we would
need the tarball for src/), which we would probably like to get via
uupdate (ideal case :)).

However, one thing we definitely should do is to create get-orig-source
targets in their debian/rules files, if we need to get the source from
SVN (this is the case for pymol and, depending on the success with the
watch file for molekel, also for molekel). Note, that
downloading/checking out the SVN sources should/must be done into

<package>-<version>.orig/

accordingly to
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices#s-repackagedorigtargz. More information in this section.

Just a FYI mail, if you are interested to help here.

Regards, Daniel