[Debichem-devel] Fwd: Debian Menu transition

LI Daobing lidaobing at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 10:06:24 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert at math.u-bordeaux1.fr>
Date: Jul 5, 2007 12:45 AM
Subject: Debian Menu transition
To: debian-devel-announce at lists.debian.org

Dear developers,

With the upload of menu 2.1.35, the transition to implement the new menu
hierarchy discussed in bug #361418 officialy start.

The menu is now in transitional mode until packages are fixed. Menu
sections translations will be updated in subsequent releases.

The new menu structure is detailed in the menu manual, and in the
next upload of the Debian menu subpolicy. Lintian will need to be
updated.

What you should do:
===================

  Look up the new hierachy in the menu manual and update your
menu files to use the new hierachy. The manual include example packages
for each sections.  A summary of change is provided below. If you are
not sure where to put your menu entry, please send an email to the
debian-policy list.

Thanks in advance with your effort in carrying out this transition.

REMOVED SECTIONS

Apps/Tools
Games/Sports
Screen/Root-window

SPLITTED SECTIONS:
Apps/Net [now Applications/Network]
Apps/Science [now Applications/Science]
Apps/System  [now Applications/System]

NEW SECTIONS

Applications
  Accessibility [new]
  File Management [new]
  Mobile Devices [new]
  Network
     Network/Communication [new]
     Network/File Transfer [new]
     Network/Monitoring [new]
     Network/Web Browsing [new]
     Network/Web News [new]
  Office [new]
  Project Management [new]
  Science
     Science/Astronomy [new]
     Science/Biology [new]
     Science/Chemistry [new]
     Science/Data Analysis [new]
     Science/Engineering [new]
     Science/Geoscience [new]
     Science/Medicine [new]
     Science/Physics [new]
     Science/Social [new]
  System
     System/Hardware [new]
     System/Monitoring [new]
     System/Package Management [new]
     System/Security [new]
  TV and Radio [new]
  Video [new]
  Web Development [new]
Games
  Tools [new]
Window Maker [new]

RENAMED SECTIONS

Applications [was:Apps]
  Amateur Radio [was:Hamradio]
  Data Management [was:Databases]
  Network [was:Net]
  Science
     Science/Electronics [was:Technical]
     Science/Mathematics [was:Math]
  System
     System/Administration [was:Admin]
     System/Language Environment [was:Language-Environment]
  Terminal Emulators [was:XShells]
Games
  Action [was:Arcade]
  Blocks [was:Tetris-like]
Screen
  Saving [was:Save]
  Locking [was:Lock]
Window Managers [was:WindowManagers]
FVWM Modules [was:WindowManagers/Modules]

Older transitions:
===================

1) /usr/lib/menu-> /usr/share/menu
There are still 174 packages with menu entries in /usr/lib/menu.
Please fix them. I will consider such packages NMU candidates.

2) /usr/sbin/su-to-root -> /usr/bin/su-to-root
Actually, please just use "su-to-root". There is no need to
hard-code the path.

3) /usr/sbin/install-menu -> /usr/bin/install-menu
There are still 22 packages using #! /usr/sbin/install-menu.
Please change to #! /usr/bin/install-menu

Others changes:
===============

-- Use this update as an opportunuity to improve the title and the longtitle.
In particular, please capitalize them properly.
Translations of title and longtitle will be available if we reach a
sufficiently high quality.

-- Menu support a new format called "menu-2" since 8 years. In this
format lines break are not significant, but logical lines end by a
semicomma:

This is an example:

!C menu-2
?package(pari-gp):
  section="Applications/Science/Mathematics"
  needs="text"
  title="PARI/GP"
  command="gp"
;

I do not have strong opinion about this format, but feel free to use it.
Since even potato support menu-2, there are no upgrade or backport
issue, however this might break the lintian code to parse menu file.

menu-2 is also available for menu-methods, through the definition
compat="menu-2". I highly recommand its use for menu-methods.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe at debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.