[Debichem-devel] [OpenBabel-Devel] Open Babel 2.1 in Debian

Michael Banck mbanck at gmx.net
Fri Jun 15 09:54:14 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 01:43:45PM -0400, Geoffrey Hutchison wrote:
> Quoting Micahel Banck:  (http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/
> debichem-devel/2007-May/000050.html)
> > However, there is the issue with the format plugins which currently
> > reside in /usr/lib/openbabel, and as apparently the plugin-ABI has
> > changed between 2.0 and 2.1 as well, 2.0 plugins won't work with
> > the 2.1
> > library and vice-versa, so some versioned directory is probably
> > needed.
> >
> > I brought this up on the openbabel list but haven't received a
> > reply or so far, I'll try again now.
>
> I'm pretty sure I've replied to all of your messages on the Open
> Babel list, including this issue.

Yeah, I decided not to continue discussing until I had a patch to
propose - Jean now beat me to it (see openbabel-devel).

> I don't have any problem with a versioned directory for file format
> plugins -- I think it's generally a good idea.

Ok.

> If there's anything needed from "upstream" (i.e. Open Babel), to
> continue to keep the Debian package working, you should just ask.
> Obviously, anything which breaks existing packages is a bug.

I think Jean's patch to add a --with-pkglibdir would be a good thing to
include in 2.1.1 if it is not too late; otherwise, Debian can emulate
the behaviour using some local hacks.

After the 2.1.1 release we could discuss whether the formatdir should
maybe be versioned by default, but the current patch is less intrusive.

Michael