[Debichem-devel] [Announce] New tasks web pages for all CDDs

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Sun Jul 27 00:05:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 03:49:41PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I decided to copy my announcement to the CDDs also to this list.
> If you like to inform your users about what you are doing on one
> hand and if you as developers want to have some alternative means
> of quality control of package meta information, just try to assemble
> some tasks files (which is really cheap and I would volunteer to
> help) and gain profit from nice overview pages (see example links
> below).

So it seems somebody went forth with this, at least there is now a
science-chemistry package I never heard about before.  So far, I
understood the nice task web pages as just some aggregation of packages
based on debtags or other criteria, and was not aware they actually
reflect some real task package (probably because I was too busy with
real life to properly pay attention to debian-science over the last
months).

Now the question is how to go from here.  Personally, I have the feeling
the easiest way would be for the debichem team to maintain the
science-chemistry package similar as the debian-med team seems to do for
most biology packages.  Otherwise, how are we going to request changes
to the task package?  Should we file wishlist bug reports?

Also, I am not sure all possible chemistry packages make sense as being
part of some meta-package - e.g. we got several 2D chemistry structure
editors (even several for GTK), so it might be best to choose one or two
to be installed by default and have the others available to the user
otherwise (through debtags or maybe some 1-click-install link on the
task overview web page).

In any case, I don't want to spread too much stop-energy here - the
whole Debian Science thing seems to lift off nicely and gain momentum!

thanks,

Michael