[Debichem-devel] RfC: Best practises: Summarizing major new features in debian/changelog

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Wed Jul 15 14:42:28 UTC 2009

Hi,

I think it would be nice if we summarize the major new (end-user
visible!) features of a new upstream version in debian/changelog (if
there are any, and if we readily know about them).

Look e.g. at the postgresql-8.4 changelog for 8.4.0-1:
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/p/postgresql-8.4/current/changelog

I was currently writing this up for the pymol-1.2 release (taken from
http://www.pymol.org):

pymol (1.2r1-1) UNRELEASED; urgency=low

  * New upstream release.  Major new features include:
    + Improved animation capabilities, with a movie timeline slider and
      automatic object motion path generation.
    + Selective surfacing of pockets and cavities (see Settings -> Surface
      menu).
    + Improved 3D small-molecule builder, with support for the "mengine"
      Force-Field implementation.
    + Improved movie export, with support for the mpeg_encode MPEG writer.
    + Support for new stereo 3D displays.

  [...]

What do you think?

Michael