[Debichem-devel] RfC: Best practises: Summarizing major new features in debian/changelog

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Thu Jul 16 10:06:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 11:12:13AM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> I disagree in case, there are NEWS files or similar files summarizing
> the changes.

You mean upstream NEWS files?

Those are not displayed e.g. by apt-listchanges I assume. As for
NEWS.Debian, I feel that is more targetted at communicating user-visable
packaging changes, like "configuration file /etc/foo moved to /etc/bar".

Having the major features summarized in debian/changelog might also make
some semi-manual (or automatic) announcement easy, like a possible
future debichem RSS feed which announces the uploads of new upstream
versions in case they have major new features.

Michael