[Debichem-devel] OSRA

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Mon Nov 23 23:15:33 UTC 2009

Hi Konstantin,

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:26:01AM +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> OSRA stands for Optical Structure Recognition Applilcation
> (http://cactus.nci.nih.gov/osra/#7). It can be used, for example, to
> recognize strucutures from articles.

It looks very interesting indeed.

> But it is tricky to compile

I guess the biggest hurdle seems to be that it wants to link in ocrad as
a library, by patching its source to remove the main() function.  I see
two possible ways to proceed here:

 1. convince the Debian maintainer to ship a (probably just static)
    library of ocrad as well.

 2. ship the ocrad source in the osra source.

2. is highly discouraged in Debian, so we should probably need to do 1.,
unless osra can work (maybe less than perfectly) with an unmodified
ocrad as well (but I doubt it).

> and has many dependencies, so it will not be widely used without
> packages.  I can help, but I have no experience in creation of "fine"
> (lintian-clean and rule-compliant) deb packages

Thanks for your offer!

Michael