[Debichem-devel] Jmol again

Georges Khaznadar georges.khaznadar at free.fr
Mon Aug 23 11:01:49 UTC 2010

Hello Andreas,

Andreas Tille a écrit :
> I would like to suggest to maintain the packaging of chemestry related
> software inside the DebiChem SVN repository.

This is definitely a good idea for the package chemical-structures. This
one is most mature, I do not think that it can be improved by its author
directly: there are already more than 500 molecules in the data, which
are likely to be the most commonly needed molecule by everybody. The
only enhancement would be to allow people who use this program to upload
well described new molecules. Another enhancement would be to define an
extention to MIME-types to deal with files describing molecules.

> It turned out to be quite
> effective to establish a high quality packaging standard if packages
> like these are maintained by a group of people.  Regarding Wims I would
> also like to propose group maintenance.  IMHO Wims would fit best into
> an educational group but the Debian Edu team did not adopted the group
> maintenance habit (but should IMHO).  However, if you agree with my
> proposal the Debian Science repository might fit as well.

What are the procedures to upload new packages in those repositories?
(by the way, I suppose that "DebiChem SVN" and "Debian Science
repository" are distinct repositories, aren't they ?)

Best regards,			Georges.