[Debichem-devel] SHELX

George M. Sheldrick gsheldr at shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de
Fri Jul 9 14:17:26 UTC 2010

Dear Michael,

I have been distributing SHELX in source form since the early 1970's, long
before Open Source took off. Although I fully support the idea of Open
Source, I prefer to distribute SHELX myself so that I get more feedback
and retain a little control. My university also expects 'for-profit' users
to pay a license fee so that I cover my costs (we do not make a profit).
Since my procedure is a little different from what is now generally
understood as 'Open Source', I always describe the program 'open source'.
If someone wishes to obtain the program, they should simply fax or post a
signed application form to me, just as they used to do when I distributed
the program on punched cards and later magnetic tape. No requests are
refused and I try to answer all emails myself, but I also expect the users
to read the manual!

Best wishes, George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,