[Debichem-devel] debichem_0.0.1_amd64.changes is NEW

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert at wgdd.de
Tue Jul 20 21:13:16 UTC 2010

Am Dienstag, den 20.07.2010, 15:08 +0000 schrieb Archive Administrator:

[..]
> (new) debichem-view-edit-2d_0.0.1_all.deb extra misc
> DebiChem 2D structure editors
>  This metapackage will install 2D structure editors which might be
>  useful for chemists.
> (new) debichem-visualisation_0.0.1_all.deb extra misc
> DebiChem 3D Viewers and Calculation Output Visualization
>  This metapackage will install 3D Viewers and Calculation Output Visualization
>  which might be useful for chemists.

IMO these both don't make any sense. Who wants 5 or 6 or even more
applications of the same kind (for different desktops!) on his system?
Do you really think, one wants to install all available 2D editors or
viewers and pull in the whole GNOME and KDE desktops? I don't think so.
These should be handled via virtual packages/ the Provides-field.

IMHO it makes more sense to create meta-packages like suites: e.g. a
toolchain for students/chemists for the GNOME desktop (e.g. gcu +
gelemental/gperiodic) and one for the KDE desktop (e.g. kalzium,
xdrawchem + avogadro) and maybe one independent one (e.g.
bkchem/chemtool + ...).

Regards, Daniel