[Debichem-devel] cclib-data_1.0.1-1_i386.changes REJECTED

Karol M. Langner karol.langner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 16:46:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 02:07:31PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 10:57:13AM +0000, Luca Falavigna wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > several files are shipped with this notice:
> >
> >   ******************************************************
> >   *                PC GAMESS homepage:                 *
> >   * http://classic.chem.msu.su/gran/gamess/index.html  *
> >   *                      e-mail:                       *
> >   *               gran at classic.chem.msu.su             *
> >   *   This program may not be redistributed without    *
> >   * the specific, written permission of its developers.*
> >   ******************************************************
> >
> > Looking at the URL above, it is written that it is not possible to redistribute
> > files to other parties, this makes it impossible for us to ship this software,
> > even if we inserted it in non-free.
>
> Those are OUTPUT files of that (proprietary) program, not the program
> itself.  They are basically a test suite to see whether the scientific
> data in those output files can be properly parsed by cclib.  No
> proprietary program source code is shipped in cclib-data.
>
> I understand ftp-masters are nervous to ship those (which are similar to
> Powerpoint files e.g., albeit text-only and not standardized) in main,
> but I really think they should be fine for non-free.
>

> Michael

Michael is correct, these log files (and from several other closed-source programs)
are their output, not their course codes, which we use as unittests for parsers.

These files are the result of a user running the program, with inputs containing
choices made by the user, not the program. We ask all users submitting tests
for permission to use them publicly.

Best,
Karol

--