[Debichem-devel] GROMACS 4.6-beta1 release

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Mon Dec 3 10:07:16 UTC 2012

Hi Mark,

* Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com> [Nov 30. 2012 19:16]:
> Hello Jussi, Klaus, Nicholas and Christoph,
>
> I understand you guys manage the distribution of GROMACS packages for the
> major Linux distributions.
>
> We've just made a beta release for GROMACS 4.6, and anticipate a few more
> over the coming weeks and then a final release in the next two months or
> so.

The 4.6-beta1 release is building nicely for various kinds of SUSE
distributions at
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Akwk%3Abranches%3Ascience

> We'd love for the packages to make their way out into user space so we
> can get some feedback and uptake. We have made a major shift to using CMake
> rather than autotools for our building and packaging, which probably means
> the existing packaging schemes will need some updating. Do let us know if
> we can help with details or advice there.

Building with cmake is soo much easier, thanks a lot for this switch !

Any recommendations on the package layout ? I currently have one big
gromacs RPM and I wonder if splitting off -doc or -tutorial packages
is adviced ?

> Install guide:
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Installation_Instructions

It would be very helpful to get sections 3.12 (Testing GROMACS for
correctness) and 3.13 (Testing GROMACS for performance) filled in
order to verify successful package builds.

Regards,

Klaus
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany