[Debichem-devel] Citations [Was: r3118 - /projects/debichem/trunk/debichem/tasks/abinitio]

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Sat Jan 28 13:21:06 UTC 2012

[Reply set to Debian Science because this seems to be the proper
 place to discuss sorry for full quote]

Hi,

at the beginning a word of warning:  Currently the tasks pages are NOT
updated autoatically!  The reason are changes concerning
"Description-less Packages indices" [1] which have the effect that the
UDD table packages is not featuring long descriptions any more which in
turn breaks the generation of tasks pages.  I'm busy to deal with this
with high priority however, I need support from other people handling
the translation stuff and are waiting for responses.  So anything I'm
writing below can not be demonstrated immediately and I describe the
theory of actions.

Question to Charles:  How did you proceed with your renaming the
files[2] ?  If you ask me waiting is not a good option - just lets do it
now before more people are starting to write upstream-metadata.yaml
files (I just introduced even more people her at the Debian Med sprint -
it would be good if they would start with the proper name).

Please tell me if you need help!

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 04:10:26PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 08:42:33AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > just a hint:  Charles Plessy is working in gathering the data inside
> > debian/upstream-metadata.yaml files into UDD.  I have finshed code which
> > in turn parses this to use the citation information from there to take
> > it over to the tasks pages.  We will announce this once it is finished
> > which has the consequence that the citation information can be
> > maintained inside the package instead of in the tasks files.  The
> > additional advantage would be that this would enable automatic
> > generation of common BibTeX files for Debian packaged software etc.
>
> Yeah, I saw that and I think it would be great.  I was just wondering
> whether I could express the desired citation accordin to upstream with
> the current system.
>
> I guess I asked this several times already, but are those pages
> regenerated automatically after changes, or does somebody have to push a
> trigger?

Charles confirmed that he is parsing SVN (it needs to be clarified which
repositories!!! - Charles?).  This information is importet into UDD.  I
have written working code to drain the information from UDD and insert
it (in addtion / overriding) the information in the tasks files.  This
code is not installed on Alioth because Charles did not finalised his
change but it works here locally.  I hope once the issue with the
descriptions is solved I can put it into operation.

In short: No trigger needed, just write debian/upstream files.  This
will work - say in Springtime

> > BTW, did you made up your mind abyout a crystallography task[1]?
>
> I think it would be useful, but I would probably shift around tasks a
> bit more when I get to it.
>
> I will post an RfC on this list once I finalized the task structure in
> my head.

If you ask me just doing it and announcing it is the shortcut solution.
People can object any time later about this.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/01/msg00004.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/01/msg00426.html