[Debichem-devel] ELPA license and packaging

Volker Blum blum at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Sun Nov 4 17:42:18 UTC 2012

Dear Michael Banck,

Thank you so much for following up.

First, I am not a legal expert and can not simply speak for the whole of the ELPA consortium.

... but I know what the intent of that modification was. You are right, the concern was that third parties could unilaterally take the code and refuse to license modifications in a form that is compatible with the original license.

I am not quite sure how our modification would break compatibility with GPL, though?

Thanks also for offering a way out.

How would distribution under the original LGPLv3 solve that problem? Does that no longer contain the clause that anyone else can redistribute their changes GPL-only - or would that simply reinstate the clause in question?

Thanks and best wishes
Volker Blum

PS - you should have received another message from the ELPA forum that approved your access. It was sent 9 minutes after the registration. Are you sure it did not arrive?

Dr. Volker Blum
Fritz-Haber-Institut der MPG
Abteilung Theorie
Faradayweg 4-6