[Debichem-devel] Looking for sponsor to promote a new package OSRA

Dmitry Katsubo dma_k at mail.ru
Sun Dec 28 02:07:07 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

On 20/12/2014 23:41, Dmitry Katsubo wrote:
> Obviously I cannot use library without headers. Now, OSRA uses the
> function pgm2asc() declared in pgm2asc.h. Here comes the dependency tree
> for the inclusions:
>
> - pgm2asc.h
>   - pnm.h
>     - config.h
>   - output.h
>     - gocr.h
>       - unicode.h
>   - list.h

I have checked quickly: it seems that this list of headers is minimum
and sufficient.

On 20/12/2014 23:41, Dmitry Katsubo wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 Cosimo Alfarano wrote:
>> Plus, it would make OSRA only compilable against Debian or any other
>> system which applies a similar patch, which is not really preferable,
>> IMHO, unless ORSA is meant only to work on Debian.
>
> I can't see how can I help here. Either patches are in upstream, or are
> in debian/patches. Indeed, if one needs to compile OSRA, he needs to
> compile and install all prerequisites, including GOCR. And he will
> either need to take a patched version or patch it himself or apply
> necessary changes by hand.

In general I can take GOCR sources "on board", that is copy-paste them
to OSRA source tree thus eliminating the necessity to involve GOCR team
and/or maintainer. That is not the nice way, but what is perfect? :)

On 19/12/2014 17:39, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> JFTR: you can get an explanation by lintian by using its -i switch. You
> can also check /usr/share/lintian/checks/*.pm in case you cannot figure
> the problem out.

Thanks, that helped!

>> E: osra: helper-templates-in-copyright
>> I can't get what's wrong with debian/copyright
>
> You still have make use of the string "Upstream Author(s)". But either
> it's one author or more :) So by using the above, you trigger the
> lintian error. Just remove the "(s)" for your case.

That was difficult to figure out just by looking at copyright file.
Thanks for helping!

>> E: libosra1: shlib-with-non-pic-code usr/lib/libosra.so.1.0.20000
>> How can I learn which functions have non PIC code?
>
> Please check the description of this lintian error. I cannot remember to
> have triggered this during my packaging attempts. You probably want to
> check, that OSRA is building with -fPIC and you might re-check with my
> own debian/rules file.

That was not trivial for me to figure out the particular violation. I
was helped in "debian-devel" maillist [1] and the problem was the OCRAD
library. I have reported it to [2].

Anyway at the moment we can skip building the library and leave it for
later.

On 19/12/2014 12:01, Andreas Tille wrote:
> It turned out that having at least a clone at git.debian.org is evident
> for teamwork on the Debian package.  Even if upstream does packaging
> work this discussion made it obvious that some Debian people can
> contribute and also need to contribute if it comes to sponsering a
> package.  So I would strongly advise to become a member of the DebiChem
> team.  Regarding the technical possibilities I'd recommend to read the
> Git section of Debian Med policy[1] (DebiChem does not (yet) have a
> written policy but you can apply the principle also in DebiChem team).

Andreas, I personally find Git a nice concept. The only hassle I want to
avoid now is to have upstream and debian files in two different
repositories (as I want to change here and there and commit in one go).
Let's leave it as it is now and see if there will be a need to merge :)
Tell me please, is git.debian.org the only possibility to story debian
files? I mean: SF.net supports Git and there is GitHub with nice
interface and bonuses - can they be used instead?

Thanks!

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/12/msg00361.html
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=583595

--