[Debichem-devel] p4VASP packaging

Graham Inggs graham at nerve.org.za
Sun Feb 16 11:34:24 UTC 2014

Hi Michael

On 15 February 2014 12:55, Michael Banck <mbanck at debian.org> wrote:
> I had a look now.  I think it might be useful to split it up into a
> python module which appears to be useful in general, e.g. to
> parse/generate VASP input/output, and the GUI app, the latter likely
> needing the python modules?

There is a C library, lib/p4vasp/_cp4vasp.so, for which the python
module is simply a SWIG-generated wrapper.
We could rename _cp4vasp.so to libp4vasp.so and, if you think it may
be useful to other project, distribute in a separate binary package.

> I think it fits very well into DebiChem. Apart from the above comment,
> if the API documentation is specific to the python interface, then it
> probably makes sense to ship it with a possible python-p4vasp package.
> If there is tons of data files and other user-oriented documentation,
> one can think about a dedicated p4vasp-doc or p4vasp-data package.

I've had a look at the current contents of /usr/share/doc/p4vasp/html.
 In there, we have intro/ (292KB) of documentation for the p4vasp
application itself, api/c (4.4MB) of documentation for the C library
(generated by doxygen) and api/python (29MB) of documentation for the
Python wrapper (generated by epydoc).

In addition, there is the Oversized Document Parser library by the
same author [1], which is currently statically linked, but which could
be packaged separately as libodpdom and inked dynamically.  I checked
now and the version in p4vasp has a few minor changes compared to
version 0.2.1 available on SouceForge and can be handled with a patch
to odpdom-0.2.1.tar.gz.

> The next step would be to add you to the Alioth Debichem project.  Then,
> you can import the packaging into the Debichem git (but if you prefer to
> keep it on collab-maint, I don't object).

I've joined Debichem and relocated the current packaging [2].

Regards
Graham

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/odpdom/
[2] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debichem/packages/p4vasp.git