[Debichem-devel] Dh-autoreconf for new version of abinit

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert at wgdd.de
Wed Jan 22 23:30:58 UTC 2014

Am Mittwoch, den 22.01.2014, 22:53 +0100 schrieb Andreas Tille:

> I somehow realised that I have injected autotools-dev instead of
> dh-autoreconf in abinit which most probably will not help an we might
> get another bug report as on several packages recently.  So I wanted
> to fix this in advance in the latest upstream source (see SVN commit)
> but when I use '--with autoreconf' I get:
>

>    dh_autoreconf
> configure.ac:190: installing 'config/gnu/compile'
> Makefile.am:47: error: DO_BUILD_FOX does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> Makefile.am:115: error: DO_BUILD_LIBXC does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> Makefile.am:184: error: DO_BUILD_LINALG does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> Makefile.am:251: error: DO_BUILD_NETCDF does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> Makefile.am:321: error: DO_BUILD_ATOMPAW does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> Makefile.am:389: error: DO_BUILD_ETSF_IO does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> Makefile.am:457: error: DO_BUILD_WANNIER90 does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> Makefile.am:525: error: DO_BUILD_BIGDFT does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL

That usually means, some definition (e.g. in an .m4 file) is missing.
`autoreconf -fvi' clearly shows this error appearing in the fallbacks/
sub-directory and indeed, fallbacks/configure.ac misses to define, where
to find .m4 files (the definitions are in
fallbacks/config/m4/auto-fallbacks.m4). You need to add
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR(), so fallbacks/configure.ac looks like this:

[..]
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([config/gnu])
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([config/m4])
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([.])
[..]

Now it works. However. To me it looks like, libtool isn't even used. So
no need to do an autoreconf here (IMHO).

> Another reason to use autoreconf is that it might be that it gets the
> build system right to propagate hardening options.  It seems to be a bit
> tricky since I was seeking for the place where the LDFLAGS are
> configured but failed in the current build system files.

./configure [options] CFLAGS=... [..] LDFLAGS=...

This is an autotools based build system. So LDFLAGS is usually supported
out-of-the-box. Do you have reason to suspect otherwise?

Regards, Daniel