[Debichem-devel] VMD packaging

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Thu Jul 2 08:21:09 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 08:30:01PM +0200, Graham Inggs wrote:
> On 3 March 2015 at 23:16, Andreas Beckmann <anbe at debian.org> wrote:
> > looks like I'm going to need VMD [non-redistributable] for $dayjob. Have
> > there been any updates to the packaging that are not in SVN?
> > Anyway, I got it built, upgraded to 1.9.2, installed and running.
> >
> > I'd like to contribute my changes back, they currently sitting in a
> > local git repository on top of a crude git-svn conversion. Is anyone
> > interested in doing a proper conversion to git (i.e. including author
> > substitution etc.) or are there reasons to stick with SVN?
> > With a GIT repo I could just rebase and push there ... or would you
> > prefer a bunch of commits sent to some mailing list?
> >
> >  debian/README.source                          |  32 +-
> >  debian/changelog                              |  27 +-
> >  debian/control                                |   7 +-
> >  .../adjust_install_path_in_configure.patch    |  10 +-
> >  debian/patches/hardening.patch                | 157 +++-
> >  debian/patches/hesstrans_make_fix.patch       |  11 -
> >  debian/patches/libthrust_device_ptr.patch     |  20 -
> >  debian/patches/no_rpath.patch                 |  30 +-
> >  debian/patches/plugins_build.patch            |  17 +-
> >  debian/patches/series                         |   4 +-
> >  debian/patches/tcltk-8.6.patch                |  24 +
> >  debian/patches/verbose_build.patch            | 778 ++++++++++++++++++
> >  debian/rules                                  |  36 +-
> >  debian/vmd.links                              |   2 +
> >

> > Andreas
> >
> > please keep me Cc:ed, I'm not subscribed to debichem-devel
>
> I also have some users expressing an interest in VMD now.
>
> I could try doing a proper conversion of the SVN repository to git.
> I see there are some debichem packages that are maintained in git [2].
> I don't know if there are any reasons to stick with SVN.
> Perhaps one of the longer standing members of debichem could comment?

I'm fine with converting svn repos to git if you prefer that.

(Currently, I'm still ok with svn for packages I touch mostly myself)

At some point, we should have a more general discussion about svn vs.
git I guess...

About VMD in particular, I think so far we just kept a trunk branch
updated, but I think going forward it makes sense to tag releases.

Finally, it would be nifty to have a tool which checks out the latest
tag, either downloads the upstream source (if possible/allowed), or
takes a pre-downloaded tarball and creates a .deb out of it.

Michael