[Debichem-devel] Fwd: Post-Receive Hooks

James Clarke jrtc27 at jrtc27.com
Wed Apr 27 22:22:59 UTC 2016

Hi,
I got the wrong email address the first time round for this. Please make
sure to copy in the relevant addresses from below when replying if
appropriate.

Regards,
James

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 23:20:02
From: James Clarke <jrtc27 at jrtc27.com>
To: debian-science at lists.debian.org, debian-astro at lists.debian.org,
     debichem-devel at lists.debian.org, debian-med at lists.debian.org
Subject: Post-Receive Hooks

Hi,
I noticed the other day that some debian-astro repositories were using
the debian-science post-receive hooks, rather than their own, leading to
things like deb.li links posted by KB in #debian-science pointing to
non-existent repositories. This prompted me to look through all the
repositories in debian-astro, debichem, debian-med and debian-science,
tabulating the results to see how consistent they are. The results vary
between the different teams, and are attached file, but here is a
summary of my findings:

1. A lot of debian-astro packages are calling debian-science's
   post-receive. This seems like a bad thing to do, especially given
   debian-astro has its own post-receive that seems to have been forked
   from debian-science (though may need updating, along with the KGB
   config).

2. Many packages lack any post-receive hooks. This is easy to fix, and I
   can't think of any reasons why this would be preferable for public
   repositories.

3. Many packages just call /usr/local/bin/git-commit-notice. Given each
   team has its own post-receive hook which does this, I again see no
   good reason for these not to use the correct hook.

   i. A few call git-post-receive-tag-pending as well (via pee(1)). I
     doubt maintainers would be very happy if this was done for every
     package, even though I am strongly in favour of the script (or forks
     thereof).

4. As you might expect, there are a few special snowflakes, including a
   few which I lack permission to read.

5. The official Debian Science policy is quite outdated when it comes to
   the section on repositories[1]. It has no mention of the
   setup-repository script, and encourages people to use
   /usr/local/bin/git-commit-notice, rather than
   debian-science-post-receive. If people are ok with it, I would be
   willing to update this.

Regards,
James

[1] http://debian-science.alioth.debian.org/debian-science-policy.html#idm46065384004448