[Debichem-devel] Chemical drawing program

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Mon Jan 25 21:32:55 UTC 2016

Hi Lennard,

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 03:07:07PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> > >There's been quite some activity recently which is great!
> > >
> > >However, there is not much documentation there. Are the screenshots
> > >from
> > >http://www.nefkom.net/wasserthal/lhendraw.html still current?  How
> > >easy
> > >is it to use for end-users?
> > >
> > >I won't have much time over the weekend but I will try to review
> > >your
> > >packaging next week.
> >
> > Sorry to bump you, but what are the next steps?
>
> I've now managed to take a look at the lhendraw packaging, sorry that
> it
> took me so long, but I was busy and/or travelling and other stuff
> earlier.

I had a look at the updated packaging, commit cad7d5ac - is that the
right one?  The git repository at
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/debichem/packages/lhendraw.git does not
contain any tags and neither does the github one (apart from v0.4.5
which is over a year old) - SourceForge does not have tarballs either.
How are releases handled?

> The following are critical issues that need to be fixed before
> lhendraw
> can be uploaded to Debian:
>
> * debian/copyright: That file pertains to source files, not binary
> files, so "lhendraw" is not correct.  I assume all the files are under
> the same license and your copyright, so you can just replace "Files:
> lhendraw" with "Files: *" and be done.

If indeed only the *.ttf and *.lennardfont files are under a different
copyright, you can change the main line from "Files: *.hxx[...]" to
"Files: *", the following section is then considered an exception to
this.

About the license, I am afraid you will also have to add the full
AGPL-3.0 terms as those are not shipped in /usr/share/common-licenses
(I'd rather would like the AGPL to be shipped as well, but it is not my
call to make).  This is a required change prior to upload, sorry -
otherwise, your package would get rejected during the initial review by
the archive admins.

Also, as a cosmetic thing, you can remove those comments "# Please also
look[...]".

> * debian/control - Description: The < and > are invalid syntax I
> believe, or at least unusual and might confuse/trick up external
> programs/services parsing them - just remove them.

Cosmetic: Usually short descriptions (the rest of the line after

About the Maintainer: field: You need angle brackets for the email
address there I believe.

In general, if you would like to maintain it as part of the Debichem
team, the following would be best:

Maintainer: Debichem Team <debichem-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>
Uploaders: Lennard K. Wasserthal <wasserthal at nefkom.net>
           Michael Banck <mbanck at debian.org>

(The Dr. is not customary in Maintainer fields, we have a few in the
team).

> The following are non-critical issues you might want to consider
> fixing:
>
> * The manpage debian/manpage.1 is not being installed, and is just the
> stub so could be removed.

This one is still present.

The following files are auto-generated during package build and must
not be in git either:

debian/files
debian/lhendraw.debhelper.log
debian/lhendraw.substvars

The first one is an error, the other two are merely a nuisance I think.

One other thing I noticed: The Vcs-Git: and Vcs-Browser: tags in
debian/control are for the Debian-specific repositories. So they should
read
Vcs-Git: git://anonscm.debian.org/debichem/packages/lhendraw.git
Vcs-Browser:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debichem/packages/lhendraw.git

instead.

Cheers,