[Debichem-devel] Gromacs migration to Git (Was: What about SVN to Git migration)

Nicholas Breen nbreen at debian.org
Tue Dec 12 14:58:12 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 08:24:12AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> My question how to deal with beta versions in d/watch remains: I
> *personally* would exclude beta versions from our observation, but I do

No, I just don't want to package 2018-beta1 specifically, as it's (entirely
reasonably for a first beta) rather buggy.  Later betas and RCs are likely to
get packaged, which I've done before, and which helps with architecture
testing.  I would prefer not to remove them from the watch file.

> not know upstream release policy sufficiently enough to decide this
> myself.  The fact that upstream seemd to have a good contact to the
> DebiChem packaging team and informs explicitly about beta versions that
> are worth packaging is IMHO strengthening my suggestion to drop beta
> from watch file since we will be informed by "other means" about
> distributable betas.

I've been working with upstream on platform testing, but no one has ever told
me "package this version but not that one".

Is anyone but me using that particular watch file?  It's certainly not
bothering me that in this one-time case, I'm disregarding it.  In a few weeks
it'll be moot.

> BTW, I would import the said beta version into Git repository and
> leave you a final view before uploading.  Is this OK for you?

Again, the version currently in unstable is the only one that should be in the
repository at the moment.  It's likely to see at least one more bugfix release
upstream, which will then go to unstable/testing, and later 2018 betas/RCs will
go to experimental on a different branch.

--
Nicholas Breen
nbreen at debian.org