[Debichem-devel] Unused packages

Filippo Rusconi lopippo at debian.org
Thu Nov 2 10:41:10 UTC 2017

Dear Fellow Debianites,

I have been pursuing an effort to package mass spectrometry software for some
years and it has proven useful, when looking at popcon values (up to 400, or
so for some).

However some packages are not  well-maintained upstream. Interestingly (but
logically) these packages also have pretty low popcon values (2 to 5, for
example). This is almost null, if we think that I download and install these
packages myself for testing purposes.  But I do not actually use these packages.
These packages have regularly FTBFS bugs that is are a pain to fix because they
are not well maintained upstream... and I do not want to bother.

What do you think should I do in the best interest of the Debian repository
quality (less packages, more used, more maintained, more reliable)?

Option 1: orphan these packages (libmstoolkit, python-pymzml, comet-ms)
Option 2: have them removed by ftpmasters
Option 3: tag wontfix all the bugs, they won't pass the sid->testing barrier and
will be automagically removed.

Thank you for your kind attention,

Filippo

--