[Debichem-devel] What about SVN to Git migration

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Sep 26 11:51:40 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 01:23:52PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 12:09:12PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > the Debian Med team has started to move packaging from SVN to Git very
> > strictly now.  I personally do not upload any package any more that is
> > not converted to Git.
>
> That looks rather strict to me indeed :)

Well, there is less than half a year left until SVN will be teared down
if I understood right.  This somehow makes one Debian Med package per
day (I have not counted - probably its not that worse but if I want to
have some free days it comes close).

> > I start with those packages that are either not up to date or need bug
> > fixes.  When looking at the Debian Med tasks I see some packages
> > maintained by DebiChem team which could be upgraded due to new
> > upstream versions and are maintained in SVN.  These are:
> >
> >     python-rdkit
> >     gamgi
> >
> > Would you mind if I'm doing the SVN to Git migration and upgrade the
> > packages (I admit I prefer if somebody else would beat me in doing this
> > but just to make sure you might follow the same strategy and need help)
>
> Are you going to just migrate debian/ directory? If so, please go ahead;
> if not, what will the git repository look like afterwards?

I would consider following

    https://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#git-repository-structures

since my Git workflow fits this.  There are other DebiChem packages
following the same structure.

In Debian Med policy I've also given a step by step description how to
do the migration.  The used script might need very minor modifications
for debichem and the authors file shuold be close to complete.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de