[Debichem-devel] Packaging of spglib

Andrius Merkys andrius.merkys at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 06:33:34 UTC 2018

Dear all,

I am working with packaging Spglib v1.10.3
(https://atztogo.github.io/spglib/), a C library for finding crystal
symmetries implementing algorithms of Ralf Grosse-Kunstleve. I have
noticed that 'avogadro' package source contains embedded Spglib v1.5.1
source, a practice to be avoided in Debian, AFAIK. However, there is an
incompatible interface change between v1.5.1 and v1.10.3, therefore,
Avogadro would FTBFS with the latest v1.* Spglib library. Should I
prepare two separate packages, libsymspg1.5 and libsymspg1.10, or should
I package only the latest upstream release as libsymspg1? As further
minor releases might introduce further incompatibilities, I'd say the
first method would be better, but I may be wrong.

Best wishes,
Andrius

--
Andrius Merkys
Vilnius University Institute of Biotechnology, Saulėtekio al. 7, room V325