[Debichem-devel] avogadro_1.91.0-1_amd64.changes is NEW

Drew Parsons dparsons at debian.org
Tue Dec 31 15:23:31 GMT 2019

On 2019-12-31 19:47, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi Drew,
>
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 08:37:55AM +0000, Debian FTP Masters wrote:
>> binary:avogadro is NEW.
>
> Thanks for packaging avogadro2. I wonder though whether you/we think
> that avogadro2 (or the development/beta releases leading up to it) can
> fully replace avogadro1 at this point; did you make a comparison of
> capabilities? Is avogadro2 crashing less often than avogadro1 (which,
> admittedly, never was very stable to begin with).

The notes upstream say that avogadro2 is not a complete replacement for
avogadro1 yet, i.e. some functionality is still missing. But they hope
to bring it up to full functionality.

I figured that since avogradro1 is python2 only and had been removed
from the Debian archives, it was effectively unrecoverable. That's why I
went ahead with uploading avogadro2 in the avogadro package rather than
avogradro2.

I haven't tested either avogadro extensively (I was just investigating
when I found that avogrado1 had been dropped from the debian archives).
Based on Qt5, hopefully that will prove a more stable framework for the
new version.

If you're able to restore avogradro1 to get access to the original
functionality then we could easily restore the avogadro package back to
avogadro1 and rehome avogadro2 in an avogradro2 package.

Drew