[Debichem-devel] Intending to remove jmol-applet while upgrading jmol

Pierre Gruet pgt at debian.org
Wed Sep 15 20:10:14 BST 2021

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on updating the jmol package. Andrius had already
started doing so some months ago.

I would like to fill a removal request for jmol-applet on behalf of the
team. jmol-applet is one of the four binary packages built from jmol.
The reasons are:
- upstream is not providing a working applet anymore...
- and indeed, we have been shipping a jmol-applet with no working applet
inside for 5 years;
- the popcon score has been decreasing since then;
- the java Applet class is deprecated since Java 9;
- because of the applet part, jmol is going to FTBFS when OpenJDK 17
becomes the default in Debian (see bug #981989).

If no one complains about it, I will fill the removal bug within a few days.

By the way, could someone please add me to the Salsa team (request
currently pending) so that I could push my changes? Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

--
Pierre Gruet