[Debichem-devel] Avogadro2 package patch proposal

Aritz Erkiaga aerkiaga3 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 11:10:22 GMT 2022

Hi,

The current version of avogadro2 (1.95.1) is affected by a bug
<https://github.com/OpenChemistry/avogadrolibs/issues/820> that
fundamentally breaks molecule editing. I fixed it in this commit
<https://github.com/OpenChemistry/avogadrolibs/commit/c47d00c821ba77ea2b13aaa933cfc922f1980469>,
as part of this merged pull request
<https://github.com/OpenChemistry/avogadrolibs/pull/819>, but no new
versions have been published yet. Next week is the Debian Import Freeze
for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, which will be supported until 2027 plus 3-5 years
of ESM, and currently includes avogadro2 1.95.1. I suggest that you
reproduce/test the aforementioned bug to evaluate its potential impact
on users (which I believe is high) and decide upon an appropriate course
of action:

  * Picking up the change in Debian as a patch on top of 1.95.1.
    Possibly sending the new version to the Ubuntu upload queue?
  * Waiting, then sending the new version as a FeatureFreeze Exception
    or picking up the patch later on top of 1.95.1.
  * Contacting the repository owner regarding a new point release:
    geoff.hutchison at gmail.com <mailto:geoff.hutchison at gmail.com>.

I'm not really familiar with the package approval process, so my
apologies if my proposal is unreasonable.

Regards,

    Aritz Erkiaga