[Debichem-devel] Attempt to upgrade toppic

Filippo Rusconi lopippo at debian.org
Mon Oct 17 17:41:39 BST 2022

Greetings, Andreas,

On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 09:32:14PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
>Hi Filippo,
>
>since we upgraded htslib I was trying to rebuild every reverse
>dependency just to be sure.  In case of toppic I was hoping to do you a
>favour and take over the upgrade to the latest upstream version.  I've
>also added CI which now simplifys explaining what went wrong with the
>build:
>
>    https://salsa.debian.org/debichem-team/toppic/-/jobs/3368510

Thank you for your work on the packaging of toppic. I've pushed
master/upstream/pristine-tar (could not use git pull for the upstream branch
somehow).

I have now reached a point where the deb packaging only fails because of the
tons of JS stuff in the software.

The point for having a toppic package was the C++ stuff in it. Since the authors
have decided to use JS for the data display, I felt more and more uncomfortable
with this orientation.

Soooo, I think I'll contine packaging toppic (I will use it for my actuall bench
science project soon), but I'll indeed drop from it all the JS stuff. I intend
to extend minexpert2 to actually do what the authors do in JS.

For the time being, I'll leave the package as is, that is, that it does not
build because of all that JS stuff. I'll think about all this a bit more and
will decide what to do with this package (most probable outcome: remove all JS
stuff.)

Most sincerely,
Filippo

--