[Debichem-devel] OpenMM upstream ceases to version shared libraries

Andrius Merkys merkys at debian.org
Tue Apr 16 15:16:26 BST 2024

Hello,

OpenMM upstream has decided against versioning their shared libraries
[1]. Up til now they supported them, bumping soversions with each minor
release of OpenMM. This worked pretty well for Debian, and there were no
API/ABI breaks between soversions.

Currently OpenMM's shared libraries are linked in 3 other packages [2].
My plan is to switch them from dynamic linking to static one once the
versioned libraries become unavailable, with all the self-evident
consequences.

Has anyone had to deal with something similar lately? Maybe there are
solutions I am overlooking? I do not feel I could argue the upstream to
reconsider since it was me who talked them into soversions in the first
place [3]. I saw some packages with Debian-specific soversions, but this
approach places maintenance burden on Debian maintainers, is bound to
clash with upstream versioning and is generally frowned upon (cannot
find discussion references to support this statement, but I recall I
participated in at least two).

[1] https://github.com/openmm/openmm/issues/2281#issuecomment-2040738821
[2] https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=libopenmm-dev&literal=1
[3] https://github.com/openmm/openmm/issues/2281