[Debichem-devel] Home made tutorial to help beginners into packaging

Sébastien Le Roux sebastien.leroux at ipcms.unistra.fr
Sun Jul 14 10:43:43 BST 2024

Dear all,
about 18 month ago I became a Fedora packager, and a little bit latter a
Debian packager,
a completely new experience for me.
My goal at the time was to package my software atomes and benefit from
the amazing officials
channels of the open source community.
As soon as I started this process I decided to document it, first let's
be honest I would not
be able to remember everything, but also and mostly I wanted to help
others to do the same.
I work in public research where many people know how to write code, but
do not how to share it,
so I wanted to help to improve that situation.

I am pleased to release this document today at:

https://github.com/Slookeur/OPEN

You will find there the sources (I am a LaTeX person) and the latest PDF.
The document covers as much as I could do it the entire process from
building systems,
git, hosting platform, and finally packaging (Fedora and Debian mainly,
but I also give a quick look to Flatpack and Appimage).

I hope you find this document useful, feel free to share it, feel free
to adapt it: open source is the way !

Finally I had tremendous help along the way:

Among the Fedora community, my Fedora mentor: Alexander Ploumistos thank
you !
Among the Debian community, my Debian mentor: Pierre Gruet thank you !

Sébastien

Dr. Sébastien Le Roux
Ingénieur de Recherche CNRS
Institut de Physique et Chimie des Matériaux de Strasbourg
Département des Matériaux Organiques
23, rue du Loess
BP 43
F-67034 Strasbourg Cedex 2, France