[Design-devel] issues with the website homepage banner (Theme futurePrototype)

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Wed Jul 10 17:46:20 BST 2019

Hi Laura - and web and design teams,

Quoting Laura Arjona Reina (2019-07-10 10:18:47)
> (Sorry for the long mail, I couldn't find time to  shrink it...)

Please no apology: Structural issues like this one is exactly what I
envision that the design team can help address, so your lenghthy email
is appreciated as a concrete case for us (in addition to your concrete
plea for help).

While at it: Thanks for the stream of emails you've cc'ed the design
team in recent years.  Please continue to do that, I see value in that,
even though we have not yet been able to react to any of them.

The design team currently consists of ~2 members, both quite busy
elsewhere, which explains the loud silence you might have noticed from
us.  Hopefully that will change - personally I haven't given up yet, and
the 20-30 people showing up to our BoF at Debconf17 in Canada 2 yars ago
indicates that there is quite some interest from others as well.

> We have had some issues to setup the website homepage banner for the new theme
> included in Debian 10 buster (theme futurePrototype
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/futurePrototype ).
> This mail is to explain what I've been able to figure out and see if we can
> improve further.
>
> 1.- Starting point
>
> Alex Makas provided a png with the website banner (thanks!)
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/futurePrototype?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=website-banner.png
>
> but until now we have used 2 png files for the website banner: one with the
> background and other with the debian swirl + text + motto
>
> I'm not sure why we are using 2 files; I *think* it is because the
> older background png files were designed in a way that they were
> fitting wide screens nicely, but I'm not sure if the stretch/buster
> background PNG files include that feature.

My guess is that initially only the swirl was a graphic, then name
changed to use a non-free font requiring fixating it as a graphics, then
background was changed from a flat color to an illustration needing a
graphic, and then motto was fixated into a graphic.

It would IMO be ideal if the text was not fixated as graphics but was
preserved as letters selectable and therefore web-searchable.  At least
for the motto.  Not sure that is doable, however - it is far easier to
throw opinions than to struggle with implementing them ;-)

[ details snipped ]

> You can see those files in the test site we have for the new-homepage
> branch:
>
> https://debian-newhomepage.larjona.net

WAUW!!!

Amazing facelift of the front page.  Congratulations to the web team for
that!

[ details snipped ]

> The result will be visible in the website in the next hours but you
> can see the png file here:
>
> https://deb.li/f0rF
>
> I don't know if this result can be improved or not, and if the issues
> of bad kerning in stretch or thinner font in buster are bugs or
> features and if they are related to inkscape or the font package or
> the font upstream.
>
> Any advice is welcome, as well as advice about the specific
> requirements we (website team) should provide in the artwork contest
> so designers know what to provide, exactly.

Do I nderstand you correctly that essentially your original problem was
bad font kerning, and fixing that you now have a problem of not being
able to match the font thickness?

 - Jonas