[Design-devel] Homepage banner, translatable?

victory victory.deb at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 21:59:08 GMT 2020

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 20:40:57 +0100
Laura Arjona Reina wrote:

> El 18/12/20 a las 14:39, Baptiste Jammet escribió:
> > Is the banner translatable ? Could we make it translatable ? (or
> > this means serve as many images as alvailable languages).

> We "create" these two images using the SVG provided by the theme creator
> (editing it with Inkscape to split the two images and exporting them to
> png). We probably should find the way to do it better (maybe to just
> keep the "Debian" from the banner provided by the designer, and place
> ourselves the translatable motto with CSS in the correct place over the
> 2 images) but somebody should step ahead to do the work.

tested using firefox 84 (win10/64bit);
erase the phrase from the image and tweak css like:

#splash h1:{
  padding-top:85px;
  color: white;
}
#splash h1::after{
  content: " - The universal operating system";
}

then, translators can use debian-<lang>.css:
html[lang=<lang>] #splash h1::after{
  content: " - <translation>";
}

I don't understand at all why the h1 have "Debian" only, though,
this way (using :after pseudo class) selecting the content area doesn't grab the
" - The universal operating system" stanza as the current
(I don't care which font to use)

--
victory
no need to CC me :-)