[Fingerforce-devel] 0.4 release soon?

Radek Bartoň xbarto33 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Mon Nov 26 22:44:45 UTC 2007

Dne Monday 26 of November 2007 23:13:10 Daniel Drake napsal(a):

> There are no legal issues that NBIS is subject to which FVS is not.
>
> US export control laws apply to all exports from the US, regardless of
> origin of the exported item.
>
> This may not be a problem for you and me (as we are both outside of the
> US), but it of course affects distribution vendors who distribute such
> materials from US-based servers  (i.e. all of the main ones).
>
> If distributing NBIS from US servers is in violation of the EAR, then
> distribution of FVS is also in violation. There's nothing special which
> makes NBIS subject to the requirements of the export administration
> regulations (after all, they apply to all exports), and there's nothing
> special that exempts FVS from the same regulations.
>
> However, the reality is that it is fine to export both as the software
> for both is publicly available and hence not subject to the EAR. I have
> had confirmation of this from a US exports officer and all this is
> documented on the fprint website.
>
> Daniel

OK, thanks for clearance. I understand that that there are no restrictions to
use it in derived work anywhere but they are if both you distribute it from
US and it is not publicly avaiable anyway. This is then same issue as with
cypher algorithms and for example FreeType library. So the comments in NBIS
code is just feint to fullfill US laws and not meaned as intentioned
restriction for NBIS usage on the part of its developers. Right?

--
Bc. Radek Bartoň

Faculty of Information Technology
Brno University of Technology