[Fingerforce-devel] Resume of DebConf team meeting and long term plans

Aurelien Jarno aurel32 at debian.org
Sat Aug 23 09:11:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:56:58AM -0300, UlisesVitulli wrote:

> During DebConf, most of FingerForce team members have had the chance to
> met face to face and discuss some stuff that are really matter us here:
> What would we do about libusb (async and sync) && fprint project in Debia=
> n?
>
> We are facing a really difficult decision: To fight with the possible
> troubles of introducing a library in which other 115 packages depends
> on, including critical ones as gnupg; or simply to have no support at
> all for fingerprints readers in Debian.
>
> Fortunately, the Debian maintainer of libusb is *quite* accessible to
> discuss and opened for ideas.
> For our surprise he already had async libusb in sight, and purposed us a
> incredible short time to upload a experimental libusb-1.0, for us to
> package new fprint development and upload it too.

FYI, I have almost finished packaging libusb-1.0. Preliminary packages
are available from here: http://temp.aurel32.net/experimental/

They are fully co-installable with the old version of the library. IMHO,
they should be ready, I am just pondering about two solutions:
- Upload them like that in experimental, along with the libusb-compat
  package to support packages using the old API.
- Change the source package name to libusb-1.0, and upload packages to
  unstable. Keep both versions of libusb in parallel until all packages
  move to the new API.

I will try to take the decision during the week-end, and do the upload
on sunday night or monday morning. Opinions are welcome.

Cheers,
Aurelien

 `. `'   aurel32 at debian.org         | aurelien at aurel32.net