[Fingerforce-devel] Fwd: Squeeze, fprint and fprintd

David Jurenka fingerforce-devel.box at imx.jurenka.cz
Fri Aug 20 19:42:26 UTC 2010

Hi Dererk,
I wrote to you once already, more than a month ago (18/07/2010), in
reply to your email “Ubuntu patches feedback?” addressed to me, but got
no response whatsoever.
This time I'm writing in reaction to the message you just posted in the
Fingerforce-devel mailing list; it might have contained a couple of
inaccuracies I would like to clarify.

1. Libfprint and fprintd are API compatible and pretty much stabilized.
Libfprint may have broken its API in the past, but that happened when it
was under heavy development, i.e., a couple of years ago. Fprintd has
been included in Fedora for a couple of releases now, and the API has
been stable since then.

2. There is one fairly important application that uses fprintd, and this
application is the GNOME desktop environment (since version 2.26)! If
the daemon is running, GNOME About Me will automatically display a
button leading to a dialogue where users can enroll their fingerprints.
The fingerprints are then automatically used by gdm and
gnome-screensaver, provided pam-fprintd.so is plugged into the PAM stack
accordingly.

3. Fingerprint-gui (the DFSG non-free app you were referring to in your
last email) does not depend or take advantage of fprintd in any sense.
Quite on the contrary, fingerprint-gui provides an alternative to
fprintd and its PAM module. It's based only on libfprint and libbsapi,
the proprietary library by UPEK.

Should anyone want to test fprintd and check out its features, Debian
packages have long been available at
https://launchpad.net/~fingerprint/+archive/fprint (since about
February). The libpam-fprintd package automatically sets the PAM stack
to take advantage of the fingerprint authentication (using the
pam-auth-update framework). Further details are at the above URL,
including a detailed how-to and a list of known issues. Even though the
instruction were written with Ubuntu releases in mind, the packages
should be binary compatible with Debian Testing and Unstable, or they
can be simply rebuilt from source if they aren't.

And Dererk, as I said in my last mail already, please feel free to take
the packages and make use of them for Debian as you see fit.

Best regards,

David