[Freedombox-discuss] Ubuntu and Freedom Box?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Nov 7 15:35:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 12:57:05PM +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 07:58:03PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> More specifically: Ubuntu has a different view on what hardware is
>> relevant to support. Where Debian generally aim at hardware still
>> possible to buy (ARMv5 or ARMv6), Ubuntu aim at hardware expected
>> popular to buy in the near future (ARMv7).
>
>Correct.
>
>> Ubuntu is a business, working directly with hardware vendors:
>> Interested in pushing sales of new hardware.
>
>Ubuntu is a free software platform, derived from Debian.  Being a
>user-centric project, we're keen to focus on hardware which provides
>the best experience for users.  Ubuntu Netbook Edition and Desktop
>Edition are simply a lot more pleasant to use (read: usable at all) on
>modern ARM hardware.
>
>Canonical is a business, working with hardware vendors, who are
>interested in selling their products.  Most of them are selling
>traditional embedded-class platforms as well as newer, high-performance
>ones, but Canonical's services are more appropriate for the latter.

Thanks for clarifying.

>> Debian is a community, working directly with users: Interested in
>> extending the lifespan of hardware.
>
>Let's work together where it is beneficial to do so. :-)

Sure.

Debian resources like Alioth is the optimal platform for collaboration
across Debian and derived distributions like Ubuntu.

Canonical resources like Launchpad is less optimal IMO, due to a higher
risk of accidentally creating things not fully compatible with debian.
Above example of supported ARM sub-architectures being one such example.

Kind regards,