[Freedombox-discuss] NAS or little-space-sheevaplug, the HD question

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Nov 8 14:23:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 02:46:30PM +0100, Gianluca Moro wrote:
>hi,
>
>On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>>
>> How do you control logging of access to that cloud-stored data?
>>
>> A fair answer is "I don't care about surveillance of accessing
>> encrypted data", but then you do not have _complete_ control.
>>

>if you mean how can I log access to cloud-stored data by person
>different from the owner, you are correct, I cannot control it. I just
>trust the strength of encryption algorithms.

In other words, you are fine with others logging this activity of yours
(moving around encrypted data). I.e spying on you in exchange for "free"
hosting.

To me, FreedomBox is about creating freedom from spying by clever design
of a privately hosted box.  That particular freedom fight is, I believe,
what Eben Moglen coined "the silverlining of the Cloud", and that
particular approach is, I believe, what Eben Moglen coined "FreedomBox".

I am certainly interested in freedom from spying by other means than
that particular design of a box - but wouldn't call that "FreedomBox".

Other freedoms than that of avoiding spying interests me as well, and I
would love to include tools for that in my FreedomBox too - optionally.

YMMV.