[Freedombox-discuss] Finding a good place to start

Christian Brædstrup linuxchristian at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 09:51:46 UTC 2010

I am glad to have sparked so much conversation :)

To answer Lukas question

> P.S. That being said, is anyone doing anything? :-D

I have been looking at creating custom debian distros with simpel-CDD and I
am looking into the base Debian system to see what the minimal requirements
for a Debian system are. Combining the base Debian with the packages we need
in our base (ex. a webserver to run the interface) will give us a base
system to develop from.

I have also looked into Config::Model and I like it. It seams easy to use
and highly customizable. The only downside is that it hasn't got a
webinterface yet but perhaps someone one this list thinks it could be fun to
play around with creating one? I only have littel experience with Perl and
CGI but am willing to give it a shot at a later point. The adventage of
Config::Model over other admin interfaces like WebAdmin is that it is so
highly customizable and it hasn't got all the features we don't need (Like a
users admin page). As I see it with the base system and a webinterface to
Config::Model running on top the only thing that needs to be done when new
apps are added to the distro is create the Config::Model config file for the
app and push it to the server (perhaps there could be a auto generated
interface with all the plugins for the Freedombox software on the frontpage
of the interface). Config::Model also lets you label each setting in the
config model to "Important", "Normal" and "Hidden". That way we can hide all
the stuff that normal users don't need to see (ex. the max number of
connections to a FTP server) while letting advanced users see all the
settings.
Jonas, what is in your git repo? I can't read it out of your mail. Is it a
place to collect our config files for different programs?

cheers,
Christian