[Freedombox-discuss] Tweaks: Package selections and configuration customizations

Christian Brædstrup linuxchristian at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 11:53:26 UTC 2010

> Cloning the whole git was just the shortest way to pass it on - you really
> only need the scripts themselves (they do not depend on other parts), so you
> can inspect/download the scripts themselves here:

Okay. I just don't have git on my PC right now. Broke my laptop yesterday
while updating ubuntu.

>  https://alioth.debian.org/projects/tweaks/

Am I the only one to get a security complaints from my browser when I try to
access alioth the past couple of days? It is quite strange.

Until Debian matures enough to render Tweaks obsolete, it serves as a
> repository of generalized customization classes - for users to consume, and
> for Debian package maintainers to adopt from.
>
> One possible way to consume Tweaks would be something like "Hands-off":
> http://hands.com/d-i/
>
> Another would be via FAI.

I don't know what would be the best approach for the install system. I see
the benefits of a fully automated install system but it also has some
limits. F.eks. if you want to install your system on one harddisk and you
have five connected. You can't automate your  way out of that :)
Perhaps creating a small live CD to run a installer from a web interface
would be a solution? The scenario I see is: The user download s the install
to a USB stick. Plugs it into the device and turns it on. After 30 sek
he/she points a browser to a local domain name and a simpel web interface
guides the user through the installation. Then a script in the live
environment could identify the hardware type and make some decisions for the
user in advance (ex. if it is an embedded device with no attached
storage then there is no reason for the installer to ask for a location to
install the software). It could also be during this step that the user tells
what services to install (but these can of course also be installed later).

I don't know how difficult this would be to setup but perhaps there should
also be a option to run it as a live distro from a USB for system with very
low internal storage.

Cheers,
Christian