[Freedombox-discuss] Dehierarchicalization (e.g. avoiding DNS) is imperative?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Oct 7 14:00:55 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 01:58:21PM +0200, paxcoder wrote:
>On 10/07/2010 01:08 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 12:42:11PM +0200, paxcoder wrote:
>>>Dehierarchicalization being a goal is a fact,

>>Where and when did above become a "fact"?
>>

>Look,you could've removed it from the wiki. You didn't, and if you
>did, it would've surely be put back. It's agreed upon, since it's
>there for months now.

Ah, you treat our wiki page as a decision making process. Thanks for
clarifying.

FYI I participate in an ongoing exchange of ideas and opinions on a
mailinglist, and use our wiki to reflect what is happening on our list.

>I mean working on locating peers in a decentralized manner, of course.

Again, thanks for clarifying (no, that was not obvious to me before).

>>>Good, what are we fighting about then? I wanted us to agree about our
>>>goal: Choosing distributed services *over* centralized ones is an
>>>imperative - wherever possible.
>>
>>I guess we are fighting over whether FreedomBox is the house to live
>>in when we reach the promised land, or the wessel to get there.
>
>Oh no, if anything, we're fighting wheter it's a plug PC custom Debian
>install with server and Diaspora on top of it, or a vessel to get to
>the promised land of private, distributed networking.

I wonder whom you are really fighting in that battle - as it is not me.

FYI this subthread sprung from my sharing with you that my FreedomBox
instance will support OpenID and FOAF - two mechanisms depending on DNS.

>The whole point of the talks is freedom from third party cloud services
>(and other communication tools), and building distributed alternatives
>that provide security and privacy. Funny how you missed that.

Funny how we all see a reflection of our own visions in those talks.

>>Kind regards,
>>
>>- Jonas
>
>Your kindness overwhelms me,

Yeah, emotions can be like that sometimes :-)

(still) kind regards,