[Freedombox-discuss] [Freedom Box] Finding your FB box on the network

Christian Brædstrup linuxchristian at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 11:44:14 UTC 2010

Great that someone else is also working on that problem.

2010/10/14 <bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org>

> I guess a way to have a debian web installer would be to use the
> passthrough fontend module of cdebconf, which is some kind of FIFO
> frontend, and like you said have a minimalistic web server (I'd say thttpd
> or so rather than nginx, which is maybe overkill for this) with a CGI that
> would use the FIFO interface of this frontend module to answer the
> installer questions via a web interface.

I agree with you on using the thttpd webserver. I just forgot that when I
wrote the scripts :)
I don't know if you would be able to use cdebconf for the installation.
Perhaps using cdebootstrap to copy the files and setup the system and then
use cdebconf when writing the preseed conf files to the installer. I think
the best solution would be a web interface with some common questions about
how to install the system. When all the infomation is collected the CGI
program writes a shell script to handle the installation (with cdebootstrap
and cdebconf) and executes it. Does anyone have a better plan? I am not that
much into the debian install process.

> But that'd suppose to have a configured network at boot, which might
> accomplished with the 'ip' option pass to the kernel at boot, but then
> should it be static IP or dhcp?

I think most non-techs use a router with DHCP to access the internet. I
could of course be wrong but in my experience it is the most common
configuration.

> That's mean to hack a bit the debian installer to add a web menu at boot,
> which would install a webserver .udeb.

I am more to the live-cd solution because then the user can choose where to
install the system. You don't have that options if you have to install the
system before you can use it.

> I also saw that debconf actually already has a web interface, which is
> really minimalistic, and is listening only on localhost since version
> 0.2.0. Maybe a way to go forward on this project might be to begin to hack
> on this and enhance this web interface.

Do you have a link? Can't find it on google.

Cheers,
Christian